Tuesday, April 7, 2015

First Meal was a Success: Honey Sesame Chicken

I went completely out of my comfort zone for my first meal making a Chinese dish. The meal was not only tried on my family, but also our close friends. I normally do not invite people over if it is my cooking because I barely ever make anything from scratch, but I guess I had a lot of faith in this meal.

 Luckily it worked in my favor! My oldest daughter is not a big chicken fan and she requested seconds. I have to say that was the best compliment I could have asked for!

This dish is delicious! I am not a big fan of honey, but after having this meal I may have to reevaluate what I can use honey on.

Honey Sesame Chicken Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serving Size 6-8 people

Ingredients:

6 chicken breasts
1 cup corn starch
3 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Sauce:
1 cup honey
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 T sesame oil
1 T granulated garlic
1 t cornstarch

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces and season lightly with salt & pepper.
3. In a medium size separate bowl beat the corn starch and eggs.
4. Mix the chicken into the egg mixture (Using a gallon size bag and shaking with coat the chicken well also).
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken for 8minutes on each side unit they are golden brown.
6. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish.
7. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and cornstarch.
8. Pour sauce mixture over chicken and bake for 45 minutes.
9. Stir the chicken every 15 minutes to ensure it is coated with sauce.

I served mine with white rice. If you would like to add additional sesames seeds for garnish it add the restaurant appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment