Friday, April 10, 2015

Reese's Cake

My family is crazy about Reese's! I thought for my husbands birthday that I would surprise him with a Reese's cake!

I found the most delectable chocolate cake recipe a couple of years ago. Every time I have tired to change to a different recipe I have been told not to mess with something when you have found the perfect taste. Needless to say I have thrown away all my other variations for chocolate cake. The cake recipe I use is from www.hersey.com called Hersey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake.

The challenge was finding a peanut butter frosting that would compliment the cake. (Icing cakes is the most stressful part for me...it taste good, but I am still trying to master making it look pretty)

The cake went over well with the family. Everyone has had a slice daily.

Reese's Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 10-12 servings

Ingredients for Cake:

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1-1/2t baking powder
1-1/2t baking soda
1t salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2t vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Ingredients for Icing:

2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup softened butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4t salt
1t vanilla extract
3T milk
1 bag of mini Reese's

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9" round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Then add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in boiling water (batter becomes thin).
5. Pour batter into prepared pans.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to completely cool on a wire rack.
8. Begin making frost by mixing together peanut butter and butter.
9. Beat in the confectioners sugar in 3 increments.
10. Add salt and vanilla and continue to beat.
11. Pour in milk and beat until frosting is the desired consistency for spreading.
12. Frost the cake and top with chopped mini Reese's (you can cut in half and/or chop in small piece to sprinkle to your liking).

Do not forget a side of milk to enjoy with your cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment